Toyota Safety Sense™ (TSS)1 is a bundle of active safety features included on all new Toyota vehicles at no additional cost. These innovative features were designed to help protect you and your passengers from harm.
Keeping you and your loved ones safe is a top priority for Toyota, which is why the brand has expanded its Toyota Safety Sense™. The latest generation of Toyota Safety Sense™(TSS) will now come as standard equipment on all Toyota vehicles. The updated safety package will add new technologies and capabilities that enhance protection for drivers, passengers, and others who share the road, while helping to provide peace of mind in even more driving situations.
“At Toyota, we are committed to making high-level driver assistance systems more widely available and even more affordable across a broader range of our vehicles,” says Chris Nielsen, executive vice president of product support and chief quality officer of Toyota Motor North America. “The second generation of Toyota Safety Sense™ takes our industry-leading suite of safety technologies to the next level, delivering new advanced and intuitive protections that are another step toward a future without traffic injuries or fatalities.”
Here are just a few of the new and updated features:
Lane Departure Alert2
Tells you when you when you’re beginning to move into another lane. This has been enhanced with "road edge detection" to increase the vehicle's ability to help you stay safely in your lane.
Senses a collision before it happens and assists you in stopping it from happening by applying brakes. It now comes with enhanced deceleration capabilities and the ability to help detect a collision with a pedestrian in front of the vehicle during the day and at night, and bicyclist in front of the vehicle during the day.
Full-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control4
This amazing technology works like a regular cruise control by allowing you to set a speed you want your vehicle to maintain as well as a distance between you and the vehicle in front of you. If the vehicle ahead begins to slow below your set speed, your vehicle will also slow down to maintain your specified distance, and then the system speeds you up again when the slower vehicle is out of the way. (Not available on vehicles with manual transmissions).
Road Sign Assist5
This new feature is designed to display road sign information in an easy-to-understand format on the dashboard meter display and Head-Up Display if equipped. The vehicle’s on-board camera can detect and recognize certain common road signs in the U.S., Japan, and Europe.
Toyota Safety Sense™ technology is crucial to keeping you and your loved ones safe. For more information, please contact us or stop by Team Toyota of Glen Mills today.
Image Credit: Toyota
1. TSS – Toyota Safety Sense: Drivers are responsible for their own safe driving. Always pay attention to your surroundings and drive safely. System effectiveness is dependent on many factors including road, weather and vehicle conditions. See Owner’s Manual for additional limitations and details.
2. LDA – Lane Departure Alert: Lane Departure Alert is designed to read visible lane markers under certain conditions, and provide visual and audible alerts when lane departure is detected. It is not a collision-avoidance system or a substitute for safe and attentive driving. Effectiveness is dependent on many factors including road, weather and vehicle conditions. See Owner’s Manual for additional limitations and details.
3. PCS – Pre-Collision System: The TSS Pre-Collision System is designed to help avoid or reduce the crash speed and damage in certain frontal collisions only. It is not a substitute for safe and attentive driving. System effectiveness is de-pendent on many factors including road, weather and vehicle conditions. See Owner’s Manual for additional limitations and details.
4. DRCC or Full-Speed DRCC – Dynamic Radar Cruise Control: Dynamic Radar Cruise Control is designed to assist the driver and is not a substitute for safe and attentive driving practices. System effectiveness is dependent on many factors including road, weather and traffic conditions. See Owner’s Manual for additional limitations and details.
5. RSA – Road Sign Assist: Do not rely exclusively on Road Sign Assist (RSA). RSA is a driver support system that utilizes the vehicle’s forward facing camera and navigation system (when data is available) to recognize certain road signs and provide information to the driver via the multi-information display and/or Head-Up display. Effectiveness is dependent on road, weather, vehicle and sign conditions. Use common sense when using RSA and do not drive distracted. See Owner’s Manual for additional limitations and details.